Skip to main content

Explosive License

To apply for or renew an Explosives License, complete the cooresponding permit application. To reduce unnecessary delays in application processing the applicant must do the following:

  • Download the Explosive License Application.  Please ensure you're using the revision dated August 2017, as previous forms will be returned for resubmission.
  • All information requested on the form must be provided.
  • Carefully read the sections regarding motor vehicle and criminal violations. The section requires the applicant to truthfully provide this information.
  • Prior to submitting the application, make sure all information is provided, be sure to date and sign the application in the Certification and Statement of Applicant sections.
  • The application must be notarized by a Notary Public.
  • Enclose the fee for the license with the application.
  • Enclose a copy of your Federal Explosive License or Permit.


Failure to accurately document your motor vehicle and criminal history will result in your application being denied and result in a one-year disqualification for submitting an explosive license application or renewal application.

If you do have a criminal record, no matter how long ago the arrest and/or conviction occurred, you must document it on the application form.

For instance, if you were convicted of a DUI in 1972 or of Simple Assault in 1984 that was reduced to a Disorderly Conduct you must disclose this information. A criminal record will not automatically disqualify a person from obtaining an explosive license, however the criminal and motor vehicle history of the applicant will be taken into account before a license or renewal will be granted.

For more information on the regulation of fireworks, sparklers and explosives, contact the Vermont Department of Public Safety.

Department of Public Safety
45 State Drive
Waterbury, VT 05671-2101